Hi! I’m Jen, and I’m the recipe developer, photographer, and blogger behind Feeding Gluten Free.
My interest in food started when I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease over 8 years ago. Cooking from scratch is what I learned, and the how to’s of gluten-free cooking, in my kitchen at home. It took some time, but I got the hang of it. Now, I’m so excited to share it all with you!
In my recipes, you’ll notice I list ingredients and then offer brands you can choose from that are gluten-free. It’s perfect for readers on a gluten-free diet! For instance, if I list ‘goat cheese’ as one of the ingredients, I will put in the note section of that ingredient (Vermont Creamery is labeled gluten-free). And I will only list products that I trust.
Here is how I will list gluten-free ingredients in my recipes:
- If the brand has a gluten-free certification, I will state the brand name and that it is certified gluten-free.
- If the brand has gluten-free written on the label, I will state the brand name and that it is labeled gluten-free.
- If the brand has nothing written but is considered gluten-free, I will always check with the company and will state the brand claims it is gluten-free.
- If products are manufactured on the same assembly lines as wheat ingredients, I will not name those brands.
‘Certified’ is a very good thing, labeled is a ‘proceed with caution’ thing, ‘claims’ is a trust factor thing. This is my one sentence motto when it comes to gluten-free label reading! You can read a basic article here!
Hope this helps!
Other stuff about me:
- I have Celiac disease, so I will be your GO TO recipe chick for anything gluten-free! I react to gluten, so these dishes are all truly free from gluten.
- My background is in journalism and theatre.
- I always reference Kosher salt and freshly ground peppercorn in my ingredients. Because that’s all I use!
- I live in the Midwest, am married, and have two kids and a dog.
- I can’t eat shellfish because I’m allergic to that too. I’m what some refer to as ‘a hot mess.’
- My favorite dish is gluten-free pasta with olive oil, garlic, fresh basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- My favorite band is One Republic.
- My son has a wheat allergy and dairy sensitivity.
- My favorite food star is Ina Garten.
- I shoot with a Nikon D810 camera with 105mm macro lens.
- The only gluten-free people in my household are myself and my son. My husband and daughter are not gluten-free. I make many of their meals separately.
- I have approximately five Alexas in my home. They all interfere with each other and talk back to me 🤦♀️.
Feeding Gluten-Free is a blog for those of you who want great, tasty gluten-free recipes that you could serve to yourself. Your family. A crowd. That’s what I’m here for. And I can’t wait to help!