This easy crock pot white chicken chili recipe is perfect for a quick, hearty meal.
Because everything’s easier in a crockpot.
There are a few things that make this recipe better than so many other crock-pot white chicken chili recipes:
- It uses pablano peppers
- It’s gluten-free
- It’s topped with homemade tortilla strips
The poblano peppers really add quite a depth of flavor to this chili recipe. And chicken thighs are wonderful to use for this.
Chicken thighs have a layer of fat on them, which flavors the dish naturally. Once it’s time to shred the chicken, you simply take the thighs out and discard the fatty skin and bones. So easy!
Although, you can use any type of chicken you’d like, including whole chicken breasts.
7 main ingredients are used in this awesome chili recipe:
- poblano peppers
- white beans
- milk or cream
Most of these ingredients you probably already have in your fridge or cupboard! I also added green onions and minced garlic that really upped the flavor of the chili.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken Chili – Step By Step
Add all ingredients to a crock pot on high heat.
Sprinkle salt and pepper all over ingredients, then close lid and let cook for approximately 2 hours.
Halfway through, take out chicken and shred. Then add back to crock pot.
For Homemade Tortilla Strips:
Add sliced corn tortillas to a skillet with good olive oil on high heat.
Let cook for about 2 minutes on one side, then flip strips with tongs and cook for another 2 minutes.
Tortilla strips should be a golden brown when finished.
Carefully remove strips and place on plate lined with paper towels, then sprinkle kosher salt all over to taste.
You will absolutely LOVE this recipe! It’s a perfect crock pot dish to throw together for a holiday weekend! So exciting! And so easy!
And what’s more exciting than eating it? Left overs, of course.
Want More Chili Recipes? Try This:
Gluten-Free Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- 3 large chicken thighs skin on (or two chicken breasts)
- 1 cup whole corn kernels or one 15 ounce can, drained
- 1 large poblano pepper sliced lengthwise
- 1 large carrot sliced thinly, circles
- 15 ounce can of Great Northern white beans drained
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro stems removed
- 2 cups milk or heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch green onions about 7 (sliced thinly, use light green part mostly)
- kosher salt and ground peppercorn to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sprinkle kosher salt and black peppercorn generously on all sides of chicken.
- Place all ingredients in a heated crock pot, except for 1 cup of milk.
- Sprinkle ingredients generously with salt and pepper.
- Let cook on high for approximately 2-3 hours, or on low for 4 plus hours.
- *Halfway through cooking time, remove chicken from crock pot to shred.
- *You will be removing and discarding the skin and bones from chicken.
- Place shredded chicken back into crock pot, and pour remaining cup of cream into crock pot.
- Stir ingredients, then cover and let cook for remaining about of time.
- Note: If cooking on low, cook for about 4 hours. If cooking on high, cook for about 2 hours.
- Note: Crock pot cooking times may vary according to heat strength.
- FOR TORTILLA STRIPS:
- I used corn tortillas that are gluten free. (Mission is gluten-free)
- Stack on top of one another, then slice into long strips with a thick, sharp knife.
- Heat a skillet on medium high with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, or enough to thoroughly coat the skillet with a small layer of olive oil.
- Drop tortilla strips in olive oil (they should sizzle) and let crisp on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use long tongs to place and turn tortillas as olive oil can pop.
- When finished, place tortilla strips onto a plate layered with a thick paper towel.
- Quickly sprinkle kosher salt all over tortilla strips to coat.
- Mix a little, then let cool before eating.