This is one of those morning meals that kick starts your entire week into gear. A gluten-free breakfast wrap that packs a punch! It’s healthy and quick and very filling. I love breakfast wraps in the morning, filled with lots of fresh ingredients. This breakfast wrap has sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, arugula, eggs and some balsamic reduction drizzled in it. Seriously. It’s what you need this week.
Skip the frozen breakfast food section labeled ‘gluten-free’. And make this easy, egg wrap that’s clean and filling. This will probably take less time to make and eat than heating a frozen burrito in the microwave, then letting it cool before you can eat it. And this tastes so much better!
I’m a big fan of arugula if there are lots of flavors surrounding it. It’s got a very earthy, almost bitter taste to it. Try eating a fresh leaf. You’ll find that it tastes great but is a bit potent. So, I like adding things like sun-dried tomatoes to kind of even out the flavor.
First, you’ll want to heat up a large skillet and place a gluten-free wrap on the heat. You can either simply warm it up, or get a slight brown to it. Not too much, though. You don’t want the wrap cracking when you fold later. A minute on medium heat on each side should do the trick. Use a large wrap. I use Mission Gluten Free Tortillas. They are excellent and quite large, which I like.
Set the wrap aside and start placing your toppings! It’s simple: arugula layer, sun-dried tomato layer, mozzarella layer. That’s it! Last but not least, I always season with Kosher salt and freshly cracked peppercorn. Gluten-free needs flavor!
You can keep the skillet on medium and add some olive oil to the pan. It will roll around but you need it to cook up your eggs. Crack those eggs and start cooking!
In this recipe, I make my eggs over medium. So, I crack two eggs in a skillet over some olive oil on medium head. I let the egg sit for a minute, maybe two. You’re looking for the egg whites to not be so transluscent or wobbly. So, when that egg white begins to set and look ‘white’, you’ll want to flip your egg. Do it carefully! Or the yolk ends up breaking.
Once you flip it over, let it cook for another minute or so. Then just take a spatula and scoop up your eggs. You’ll place them right on top of the open faced wrap. All that warmth will start to melt the mozzarella underneath! And the arugula begins to wilt. Yuuuummmmm!!!!!
Last but not least, get yourself some balsamic reduction and just drizzle away. It seals the deal with this wrap completely. Great flavor for a unique breakfast burrito. You’ve just got to add it. Now, regular balsamic is best here, but it gets a bit pricey. And you need to know what is real and what is not. There are lots of ‘fake’ balsamic vinegars out there. Here’s a guide on how to look for a tradition balsamic vinegar. Sometimes, I actually add a bit to a small jar, then add a tiny splash of water to dilute it. Mix it in and then it doesn’t seem as syrupy. But it still has a great flavor.
Fold that massive goodness into a large burrito and chop down. I’m warning you, you’ll need some paper towels. And just have a seat and lean forward over your plate. I like these on a Monday morning after the kids have gone to school. Don’t talk to a sole, as this will interupt the flow of your chow down. Only the dog stares at me during my moment of silence. Pure breakfast bliss.
Now, that wasn’t so hard! Was it!? Seriously, this is the best gluten-free breakfast wrap. Call it a gluten-free breakfast burrito. Call it a gluten-free breakfast wrap. I don’t care. And neither will you, after biting into it. Let me know what you think if you make this by commenting below. Have a great week, peeps!
Gluten-Free Breakfast Wrap
- 1 gluten-free tortilla wrap I use the large Mission gluten-free white corn? wraps?
- arugula washed, a handful for wrap
- fresh mozzarella cheese a few torn pieces, Bel Gioioso is labeled gluten-free
- sun-dried tomatoes small handful, you can chop them up if you’d like, Balla Sun Luci claims gluten-free. Just remove and drain from oil.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground peppercorn to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for skillet
- 2 large eggs cooked over hard, see below
- good balsamic vinegar real balsamic vinegar will have only grape must
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, then place gluten-free tortilla wrap in skillet.
- Heat on each side for less than one minute, just to warm and slightly brown. Do not let the wrap harden, however.
- Keeping heat on, remove wrap and plate it.
- Place a layer of arugula, mozzarella, and sun-dried tomatoes on wrap. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet on medium heat, and coat evenly.
- Crack both eggs and let eggs cook for one minute on each side. When the egg white is not translucent and not as jiggly, you can flip the egg. You’ll be cooking the eggs on both sides so that the yolk is not completely set, yet not too runny. This is called ‘eggs over medium.’
- When eggs are finished, with a spatula and while still hot, place them atop wrap with arugula, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, then fold wrap and eat. You can heat the wrap in microwave for up to 30 seconds to ensure the cheese has melted somewhat.
- Yolk may drizzle, so get yourself some napkins!
For another egg recipe, try my classic gluten-free deviled eggs!