This gluten-free cupcake recipe is perfect for Spring!
Because what’s better than a Spring fluffiness, flavorful yet gluten-free, and colored with natural ingredients? I’d say just about nothing.
When the weather gets warm, I really enjoy baked goods that are not too rich in flavor. Thick, rich cupcakes around the holidays in the cold months are divine. But I really think when it’s warm outside, they’re better when they’re not so rich.
So, these are fantastic with fruit and fruit flavors. In this gluten-free cupcake recipe, I actually used real blueberries to color the buttercream frosting! It is SO easy. All you need is a few of those round, blue beauties and a microwave.
Simply put them in a bowl and nook ’em for about 45 seconds. You’ll need about 8 blueberries.
What happens is the fruit bleeds its juice with the heat. You can tip the small bowl a bit, and simply scoop out the liquid. Once its cooled, you just add it to your buttercream frosting. Pure perfection. I LOVE the fact that you can make all-natural food dyes from ingredients in your kitchen! I love this article from Erin McDowell!
What makes little cakes so fantastic is the fact that you’ll be topping them with fresh fruit. Specifically fresh blueberries and raspberries. You will not believe how good these taste with fruit on top!
The blueberry taste is already incorporated into the frosting. And the natural sweetness from the raspberries just completes everything.
Another piece of the puzzle here that makes these cupcakes come to life is that you’ll be adding pumpkin puree to the batter. That’s right. I know it’s not Thanksgiving menu time, but you’re gonna use it.
I always use pumpkin puree for gluten-free cupcake recipes. It’s really good for making cupcakes without gluten. I’ve tried lots of different ingredients but have always found it so essential with some gluten-free baked goods.
Puree adds a moisture to the cupcake that is needed for binding purposes. And the neutral flavor of the puree is just perfect.
I promise you will love this Springtime gluten-free cupcake recipe! It’s perfect for baby showers, race day parties, Memorial Day celebrations, summer barbecues, you name it. The BEST way to serve these is cold, straight from the fridge.
At least, that’s how I love them! The cool fluffiness just makes all the ingredients come together in a very smooth and decadent way. Wow, now that makes me hungry for these NOW…
Enjoy this recipe! It is FINALLY feeling like Spring here in the midwest! Sunny times and blue skies always make this dessert extra special.
If you try making these cupcakes or any other recipes on the blog, be sure to rate and comment on them at the end of the post!
GLUTEN-FREE CUPCAKE RECIPE FOR SPRING
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 1/2 cup sugar cane
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or half of a stick (room temperature, Kroger brand is labeled gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil (California )
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Rodelle is labeled gluten-free
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour I used Cup4Cup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- hefty pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Ceylon powder is labeled gluten-free
- 1/2 cup milk for dairy-free, use almond milk
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree I use Libby’s
- 1 teaspoon pure honey
- FOR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter kroger is labeled gluten-free so 1 stick
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar you can sift to make it go in evenly, Wholesome brand is labeled gluten-free
- 1 – 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or about an inch of real vanilla bean
- pinch of kosher salt
- handful of blueberries for coloring
- fresh raspberries and blueberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixer using a paddle, beat butter and sugar until it begins to fluff.
- Add olive oil and continue to beat, about a couple more minutes.
- Add egg whites and vanilla to mixture, then continue to beat another minute.
- Combine flour, kosher salt, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add 1/3 of these dry ingredients to the mixture and beat well.
- Then add 1/2 of the milk while beating, and let mix thoroughly.
- Repeat this process with the dry ingredients and milk again.
- Lastly, add the remaining dry ingredients to the mixture and beat.
- When mixture is blended thoroughly, add pumpkin and honey.
- Beat one last time until batter is thoroughly mixed.
- Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula and mix evenly mixing.
- Spray or butter a muffin pan and scoop batter into each muffin tin.
- Fill each tin about halfway. Too big of cupcakes can create less flavor!
- 15. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until sides and tops begin to golden.
- Use a sharp knife and poke a cupcake for doneness.
- If knife remains clear, your cupcakes are done.
- When finished, remove pan from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and set aside to cool.
- WHILE CUPCAKES COOL, MAKE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- Take about 8-10 blueberries and place in small dish in microwave for about 45 seconds. The blueberries will bleed their juices. Simply tip the bowl to the side and push the blueberry skins to one side and press on them gently. The juice will drip to the other side of the bowl. Then take a spoon and scoop the juice out. This makes about 1-2 teaspoons of juice from fresh blueberries! Set aside the extracted juice, and let cool completely for a few minutes.
- In a mixer with a paddle, beat butter until creamy. So about 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar slowly until it is evenly and smoothly incorporated into butter mixture.
- Then add vanilla and mix in.
- Lastly, pour in the teaspoon of blueberry juice into the mixer and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- The frosting will change to a pink color!
- (You can add more blueberry juice if you’d like, plus a drip of vanilla as well.)
- When ready, ice cupcakes with frosting.
- *This will be enough frosting for layering about 8-12 cupcakes, but not generously. *If you like your cupcakes generously frosted, double this frosting recipe.
- Lastly and mostly importantly, top each cupcake with about 2 fresh raspberries and 2 or 3 fresh blueberries, depending on size. This completes the cupcake beautifully and makes them taste amazing!
- Finally, refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve. I LOVE them served cold!!